Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Travelling, A Primal 5K, and a Seminar.

Once again, I apologize for the lack of posts; Tam and I bombed up to Edmonton to visit family, and we just got back last night.  Back to our regularly scheduled programming!








I knew you'd be happy about that.  Ha!









Sherwood Park, Nov 15th, 11AM, 5K run.  In Vibrams!

I've been meaning to do this for a while; it's something I've wanted to move towards, if only for the nostalgic, caveman-like freedom I percieve from it.  Yes, I'm a dork, but I'm a Primal dork, so that means baddass.  In my world.  The route was approx 5k; I had done it before while using a Garmin, and Tam and I did the same route.  We probably clocked in at around 25-30 minutes, which I'm pretty damn happy with.  Calves were a little "spicy" the next few days, but nothing major.  Did a mix of grass + pavement....LOVE the feel on grass.  Love it!

MetCon, CFLA, Nov 17th, 1PM.

AMRAP 10 Min of:
3 DL, 225#
10 Box Jumps, 20"

15 Rounds; happy with this, but some of the firebreathers on our gym pulled 16, 17, 18 and an amazing 20 off.  Last few rounds my back was torched; I was hoping the 225# would feel "light" (LMAO), but alas, 225 is still 225.  Props to Nunzy, KT, Big Moah, and JT with the 20.   Taught the 11 and 12 classes, and I knew I wouldn't have time tonight, so I had to sneak this in.

 

This afternoon at 4PM, I did  a nutrition lecture for about 60 or so folks, students and teachers, at a local high school; Cory Gillespie, one of the other Crossfit coaches, asked me to do this, and I felt really honored.  Anyone who knows me knows I'm a total geek about nutrition, and it's a huge passion of mine.  Anytime I can get an audience that can't leave, I'm all over it like Oprah on a loaf of bread.

Some of the topics I covered included macronutrients, hormonal shifting through diet, Paleolithic nutrition, the Zone, hydration, and pre and post workout habits.  It was a little heavy on the biochem end, but nuts and bolts like that are essential for understanding nutrition.  I concentrated on the Paleo end, because I'm 100% convinced that has more merit than any other aspect of nutrition.  Even the science backs it:

Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a randomized cross-over pilot study.

Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund, Lund University, Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden. Tommy.Jonsson@med.lu.se
BACKGROUND: Our aim was to compare the effects of a Paleolithic ('Old Stone Age') diet and a diabetes diet as generally recommended on risk factors for cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes not treated with insulin. METHODS: In a randomized cross-over study, 13 patients with type 2 diabetes, 3 women and 10 men, were instructed to eat a Paleolithic diet based on lean meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, root vegetables, eggs and nuts; and a Diabetes diet designed in accordance with dietary guidelines during two consecutive 3-month periods. Outcome variables included changes in weight, waist circumference, serum lipids, C-reactive protein, blood pressure, glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), and areas under the curve for plasma glucose and plasma insulin in the 75 g oral glucose tolerance test. Dietary intake was evaluated by use of 4-day weighed food records. RESULTS: Study participants had on average a diabetes duration of 9 years, a mean HbA1c of 6,6% units by Mono-S standard and were usually treated with metformin alone (3 subjects) or metformin in combination with a sulfonylurea (3 subjects) or a thiazolidinedione (3 subjects). Mean average dose of metformin was 1031 mg per day. Compared to the diabetes diet, the Paleolithic diet resulted in lower mean values of HbA1c (-0.4% units, p = 0.01), triacylglycerol (-0.4 mmol/L, p = 0.003), diastolic blood pressure (-4 mmHg, p = 0.03), weight (-3 kg, p = 0.01), BMI (-1 kg/m2, p = 0.04) and waist circumference (-4 cm, p = 0.02), and higher mean values of high density lipoprotein cholesterol (+0.08 mmol/L, p = 0.03). The Paleolithic diet was mainly lower in cereals and dairy products, and higher in fruits, vegetables, meat and eggs, as compared with the Diabetes diet. Further, the Paleolithic diet was lower in total energy, energy density, carbohydrate, dietary glycemic load, saturated fatty acids and calcium, and higher in unsaturated fatty acids, dietary cholesterol and several vitamins. Dietary GI was slightly lower in the Paleolithic diet (GI = 50) than in the Diabetic diet (GI = 55). CONCLUSION: Over a 3-month study period, a Paleolithic diet improved glycemic control and several cardiovascular risk factors compared to a Diabetes diet in patients with type 2 diabetes.


Trigs, BP, HbA1C, weight, waist circumference all dropped like ROCKS. And the USDA, AHA, and ADA all have their heads up their asses about treating patients. IT'S RIGHT THERE. At least there's current research going into this, which the pharmaceutical companies can't touch.

Hopefully in the next few days I can get to a couple of topics I've wanted to write about for a while: caffeine (Love it!) and fructose (not so much!)