Saturday, October 24, 2009

Motivation, Inspiration, and Failure

First off, a kick-ass video I came across today while doing some catch-up surfing:



The imagery paired with the quotes is a phenomenal message; I think we (we, being Crossfitters) get caught up in PRs (personal records, as in fastest times, biggest lifts, etc) and attainment of goals.  This, of course, isn't a bad thing, but previous failures and the effort required to OVERCOME those failures is often forgotten.

Do you remember how many times you've failed on a 300# DL?
Do you remember how long it took to overcome that nagging injury?
Do you remember how much Fran hurt?  Ok, bad example, Fran hurts everytime.

Now, do you remember, vividly, your best "Cindy"?  I bet you do.  I bet you can remember the exact time and place, and thought "Holy hell, I just got XX rounds on Cindy.  YEAH!!!".

We are programmed to think this way, but realize, when the chips are down and failure is imminent, THIS IS THE TIME TO GROW.  This will be your base for the next PR.  Do not give up, do not back down.  Fuck Yoda and his gay-assed Jedi-ism.

Keep TRYING.   Always.

Today's Workout, CFLA, 4PM

Wanted to sleep-the-hell-in today; got in late last night from Red Deer after a hellish day of testing and brain-drain for the first part of my high-angle rescue technician certification.  Justification: Solid.

Low Bar Back Squat

45#x5
95#x5
135#x5 This first few were testing my back out; I twinge it last week, so I wasn't sure what it would be like.
185#x3
215#x3
225#x3
245#x3 Felt strong+++
275#x3, Boo-YAA, 10#PR. Let out a Primal scream at the bar. Take that, mo'fo!


Met-Con
Cindy-Lite

AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) in 10 min of:

5 Pullups
10 Pushups
15 Squats

12 rounds dead-even. A few rounds in and I was questioning if doing similar movements from strength to met-con was a wise choice---legs were gassed hard.  Pushed through, and it was all good.  Shoulder felt a bit sketchy going chest-to-deck, so I kept the ROM a little shorter.  I'd like to bust 20 rounds of a full-on Cindy some time; the way things are going with the shoulder, I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

I'm kicking back with some friends + tequila (Tuh-Kill-Yah?) tonight at my place to watch UFC 104; tomorrow, I have to head back north for part 2 of the rescue cert.